Kobus was born on July 5, 1943 in Pretoria, South Africa, and did his basic commercial art training at the Pretoria Technicon until December 1965, after which he had intensive practical art training under Prof Racotti (Italy).
He began his art career in 1968, and has established himself firmly as both a renowned sculptor and a successful businessman. After serving two years in the South African Defense Force, he monopolized on the design and manufacturing of badges, crests and statues for both the Defense Force and South African Police.
He was promoted to Managing Director of Proferro in 1969 and took over the Company after two years. Since then he has created artworks and trophies for various companies, stud breeder’s societies, industries and much more. In September 1999 he received an ATKV Art nomination.
Under commission of Distell in Stellenbosch, artworks and copies were created of the Amarula elephant and distributed throughout South Africa and to 52 countries worldwide, including Russia.
Jacob Maponyane joined Kobus’s team in 1976. Jacob had the background of a painter. Kobus took him in and personally train him in the finer details of the business. Jacob progressed over the years until he was able to lead the production team..
Over the years, Kobus was commissioned to do various sculptures of some prominent personalities such as:
• “Frik Du Preez”(rugby PLAYER OF THE CENTURY)
• “Callie Knoetze” (Boxing)
• “Bob Mabena” (Tv2)
• “Manie Maritz” (former world campion wrestler)
• “SA World cup champions” 1995
• “Bafana Bafana” and “Springbok teams” – “Clive Barker”, “Neil Tovey”, “Erick Tinkler”, “Mark Fish”, “Naas Botha”, “Gavin Johnson” etc.
• Life size Nelson Mandela bronze statue – Nelson Mandela Foundation
• Bronze Replica Nelson Mandela – Nelson Mandela Residence Houghton
• Bronze replica Nelson Mandela – Trafalgar Square, London• 6 Meter Nelson Mandela – Sandton Square
• Life size bronze Hector Peterson – Maponya Mall Soweto
• Bronze replica Hector Peterson Nelson Mandela foundation• Life size Bust King Molethlegi – Royal Bafokeng
• Life size statue full body King Molethlegi the 1 – Royal Bafokeng
• Others include monuments at Hoopstad, Kroonstad, Gobabis and others.
The highlights of Kobus’ career included the designing and modeling of numerous local and overseas and overseas monuments.
Sculpture Artwork of Kobus Hatting exhibited at Crouse Art Gallery. Original art of more than 60 top South African Artists – Since 1999.